Click here for a photo gallery of all these features
A Church in Drinkstone is mentioned in the Little Domesday Book of 1086. The font ‘modernised’ in the 13th century, is of Purbeck marble, and dates from the 11th century.
The church was rebuilt in random flint rubble and stone dressings, with a slate roof. It has a nave, chancel, north and south aisles and arcades in Decorated style. High quality Decorated style windows and a priest’s door remain in the Chancel.
Some features in the church date from this period in Perpendicular style, including the Aisle windows and notably the magnificent 15th century carved oak screen, which once had a rood loft atop.
A Flemish bond brick Tower was erected through a bequest of the Revd Thomas Cambourne, and two of the present bells, made by Henry Pleasant, were hung.
1866 – 1867
Considerable restoration work was carried out.
The East window was installed in memory of Revd William Horne, d.1865 and the stained glass is a fine example of the work of Lavers, Barraud and Westlake.
The family of Revd Horne paid for the restoration of the Chancel, and a sum of £887 in donations paid for a new roof over the Nave and aisles. Guttering, down pipes and drainage ditches were added. The ground floor of the tower was made into a vestry, the clerestory quatrefoil windows were added, new pews were installed and heating provided via a solid fuel stove, in a pit, covered by a grating.
The Porch was rebuilt but retained its Decorated ogee-arched piscina niche (photo right). The mediaeval South door was restored – the original plank doors with metal strap work and hinges were carefully mounted onto 19th century battening, thus enabling present day worshippers to turn the same latch to this Church as those for nearly seven centuries.
Two more bells were acquired, by Mears and Stambrook.
Another two bells, by John Warner of London.
The organ, which is of historic interest, was built by Joseph Hart of Redgrave in 1807 for Thurston Church and was given to All Saints in 1901 by Sir E. Walter Green, as a thanksgiving for the long reign of Victoria. Previous to this, it is believed there was a barrel organ in use, and subsequently a harmonium.
Beneath the East window and behind the altar, Jacobean oak panelling and a painting of Christ crowned with thorns were installed by the Horne family in memory of Revd F.E. Horne.
Electricity was installed and no longer were bellows required to work the organ.
The beautiful oak gallery of the ringing chamber and doors of the vestry were built with help from the Rural Churches in the Community Millennium Fund. At the same time, a cloakroom/washroom was built in the Tower, and the early 20th century former vestry cupboards were cleverly converted into a kitchenette with running water.